Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jamee Learns to Drive!


Think back to the first time you drove a car. I think I might of been around 7 when i learned to drive. I remember driving the truck (stick shift) out in the field while the guys loaded it with hay. This led to an obsession with joy riding. At first it entailed driving the little white car down through the creek up to the cemetery turning around and going back down though the creek and to the house. We also had no problem driving anything, the only requirement was does it have keys or gas. We might of been 11 or 12 at the time. Now this was ok and not illegal, for we were on private property. This short distance joy ride as you can well imagine got quite boring and Stefanie Gina and myself decided that making directional changes in the route would be beneficial. It seamed that each time we left my yard we would end up having to out run Big Dave the county sheriff, (we called him Big Dave cause in Levan there was also a Little Dave) so as to now which Dave you were talking about you had to say big Dave or Little Dave it pretty self explanatory. We could usually get the car parked and get into the kitchen to pretend there was nothing out of the ordinary happening, before he knocked on the front door to tell us to quit driving. That was enough to scare us in to not driving for the rest of THE DAY!
I was lucky enough to have to wonderful neighbors growing up that cared deeply for my safety so it was they, who every time we left the yard, would be of the horn to Big Dave. Thanks Pat and Florene for helping us learn and sharpen our defensive driving skills.

Ok, Now back to the reason for this post, Jamee was asking driving questions Saturday on our way home from SL, and saying how she way never going to learn how to drive. So we stopped out on sheep lane just after we turned off the Hwy. I say to her ok get up front and you can drive home. Charley-Anne gets in the back and there we sat Jamee wouldn't get in the drivers seat, she had a panic attack. so charley drove down sheep lane around the corner to Erda Way. Jamee finally gets into the drivers seat and asks, What if I'm left footed? OY are we in trouble or what! She drives us down Erda Way and around Gunderson Circle and in to our driveway, without incident.

Jamee was the first of my kids to be a little skiddish about driving. She can drive a 4-wheeler no problem but just the thought of going so fast scares her a little, she drives like I ski, cautiously.

5 comments:

  1. She should consider herself lucky. My parents never let me drive. The first time I ever drove a car was the drivers ed car with Mr. Griffiths.:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jamee. I learned to drive with Erica in the Pinto. It was also on the road to the cemetery in levan:) Oh the fun we had in that car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Melanie, This is your good old neighbor Pat.. but just for the record, I never called and ratted on you for driving... I think it was Florene, as she was always afraid you were going to run her over..... I just laughed when I noticed you were out, but usually didn't know unless I happened to see Big Dave stop by your house....
    You never mentioned when you used to jump from the top of your mom's balcony on to the trampoline though, or from the top of the silo ladder...watching you do that used to make me nervous... I could just picture you spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair with a broken neck, but you must have known how to land right cause you have an incredible family...
    Oh By the Way.. it is good to read your blog.... hope you don't mind....
    YOUR old neighbor Pat.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, I was shocked that you would respond so quickly... but I am glad that you did... I would love to email back and forth with you if you will email me at pwe52ut@yahoo.com, I can ask you some questions that may not be too good to post here... thanks Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared. Very scared. (Sorry Jamee, it's the truth.)

    ReplyDelete